Mrs. McCarthy’s 2nd graders used their Integrated Arts time to create posters for the upcoming community meeting. They decided to base their artwork on the proverb, “March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.” They worked as a group to sketch the outlines in pencil, and then decided on a combination of oil pastels to blend. The lion’s mane in particular was the source of much discussion! They then used black tempera paint to outline their artwork.
Mrs. Bruett’s 3rd graders finished constructing their 3D daffodils during their Integrated Arts time! Students used tabs and folds to make the stigma and stamen “pop out” of the flowers. Students also cut stems and leaves out of their painted paper.
Once the flower was assembled, 3rd graders chose a color for their background paper and glued it on. Finally, students had the option to use colored pencil, collage, or oil pastel to add texture on the petals and leaves, or to add environmental details like stars or grass.
This artwork took several classes to complete, and it involved many small, detailed steps. Students showed great teamwork as they helped each other remember how to complete each part. Everyone used their best effort and it shows in these amazing 3D daffodils!
3rd grade students have been studying flowers during science in their classroom. Mrs. Bruett’s class is using Integrated Arts time to work on creating 3D models of daffodils. For the first class, students painted a paper plate to form the petals, a strip of paper that would become the corona, and a strip of paper that would become the stem and leaves. We discussed how daffodils come in a variety of colors, and some have matching corona and petals, and some do not. For the next class, we cut and glued the corona into a ring shape. We used “fancy” scissors to cut the top of the corona into a ruffle. We cut tabs onto the bottom to create a flat surface for gluing. We then worked on dividing the plate into six segments to form the petals, and glued the corona into the center. Most students stopped here, but a few had time to create the pistil, stigma, and stamen. Next week we will cut out stems and leaves and finish assembling the flowers.